Monday, June 15, 2009

Next stop: adventure!

So as many of you know (well, all of you should know now, if you're reading my blog!) I am setting out for Romania on Wednesday, June 17th, and will be there until July 26th.  I am attending a 7 week field school called the Porolissum Field Project, a joint American-Romanian archaeology project excavating the forum at Porolissum, an ancient Roman military base founded under Emperor Trajan in 106 AD. 
Porolissum is located in the famed province of Transylvania, about 8 km from the modern day city of Zalau.  During this field season I will be living in accommodations built by the Salaj County museum specifically for these excavations.  I am so excited for this because we will actually be living in a rural Romanian town called Moigrad, so I will truly be able to experience and participate in the Romanian culture.  Not only will we be working with the local people, but we will also be living and sharing this experience with them.  Oh, and did I mention that a local woman cooks all our meals for us?  I can't wait to try some authentic Romanian cuisine!
Unfortunately, living in such a rural area means there is no internet access in Moigrad itself, and very little cell phone reception.  That's where this handy dandy blog comes in!  Every few days (or whenever something really cool happens!) I will be able to make the trip into Zalau, where internet cafes are on every street corner.  That means my main form of communication will be this blog, but if you're dying to email me (callisto357@gmail.com) or facebook me I will certainly try to get back to you ASAP!  
Now my last little tidbit (since I feel like i've been typing this for quite a while...) is about... MAIL!  Everyone loves mail!  SO, if you leave me your address (either email it or message it to me) you just might be lucky enough to warrant a postcard or two!  And guess what, you can even send me mail if you really wanted because i'll have a mailing address too!  You can send me letters at: 
Lauren Earl, Porolissum Field Project
c/o Salaj County Museum of History and Art 
Str. Unirii, nr. 9
450042, Zalau Romania
*Because of the distance, any mail could take up to 2 weeks to find me.  

Hopefully i'll have some interesting stories to tell you all about, and some even more interesting pictures to show you once I get back!  

noroc (cheers)!,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment